Chinese-inspired Lemon Orange ChickenBy
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillets skin on
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup white sugar
- cooking oil
- ¼ cup corn starch
- Wipe the chicken thigh fillets and cut into chunks. Toss with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and all of the pepper. Marinate in the fridge for eight hours or overnight.
- Place lemon juice, orange juice, zests, ½ teaspoon salt and all of the sugar in a sauce pan. Boil, uncovered, for ten minutes or until reduced by half and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- In a pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Place the chicken in a resealable bag, add the starch, seal and shake to coat each piece lightly.
- Over medium heat, fry the chicken in batches until lightly browned, about four minutes per batch.
- Turn up the heat to high, refry the chicken for one to two minutes until golden and crisp.
- Place the chicken a mixing bowl. Drizzle in the cooled sauce and toss to coat each piece well.
- Serve the lemon orange chicken immediately.