Chickpea Soup with Himalayan Black SaltBy
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ cup finely sliced onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas (I used canned)
- 1 ½ cups cubed potatoes
- 1 ½ cups cubed chayote
- Himalayan black salt to taste (see notes after the recipe)
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- lime slices to garnish
- fried shallots to garnish
- mint to garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot.
- Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat, covered and with occasional stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the broth.
- Throw in the chickpeas, potato and chayote cubes.
- Season with Himalayan black salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are done.
- Taste the broth. Adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with slices of lime, finely sliced mint leaves and fried shallots.