Chicken Teriyaki Noodle BowlRecipe by
Cubed chicken fillets cooked in soy sauce, sake and mirin are served over quick fried noodles. Skip the rice and experience chicken teriyaki rice bowl. Unforgettable.
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillets
- sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
For the noodles
- 150 grams fresh egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced scallions
Cook the chicken teriyaki
- Wipe the chicken thigh fillets dry with paper towels and cut into one-inch cubes.
- Brush the entire bottom of a heavy frying pan with sesame seed oil and heat.
- Spread the chicken cubes on the hot oil in a single layer, skin side down.
- Cook over high heat until the skins are lightly browned and starting to render fat.
- Pour in the soy sauce, sake and mirin.
- Cook the chicken cubes over high heat, tossing them around occasionally, until they have soaked up the liquid and their surface is sticky and glossy.
Stir fry the noodles
- While the chicken cooks, heat a teaspoonful of sesame seed oil in a large wok or frying pan.
- Stir fry the noodles until each strand is coated with oil.
- Drizzle in the soy sauce, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce.
- Stir fry until the seasonings are evenly distributed and the noodles are heated through.
Assemble the chicken teriyaki noodle bowls
- Divide the noodles among four bowls.
- Divide the chicken teriyaki into four portions and arrange one portion over the noodles in each bowl.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- Serve the chicken teriyaki noodle bowl immediately.
If using dried egg noodles, cook according to package directions, drain, dump in iced water and drain very well. It’s not a good idea to stir fry still-hot noodles because they will just steam up and turn soggy.