Chicken Stewed in Tomato Cream SauceBy
- 8 chicken thighs see notes after the recipe
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 bird’s eye chilies
- 1 ½ cups canned stewed tomatoes with the liquid
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Wipe the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Mix well. Place in a covered container and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Mince the garlic.
- Thinly slice the onion
- Slit the chilies.
- Heat a non-stick cooking pan. Lay the chicken pieces, skin side down, in a single layer. Cook over high heat until the skins are browned and blistered. Flip to brown the opposite side.
- Scoop out the chicken, transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- In the rendered fat, brown the garlic, onion and chilies.
- Add the tomatoes (lightly crush the tomatoes with your hand), the juice and the cream.
- Throw in the bay leaves and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the sauce, skin side up and in a single layer.
- Scatter the peas over and around the chicken.
- Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through and the sauce has reduced to less than half.