- Place the flour in a shallow bowl, the egg in a second shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs, tossed with the Parmesan, in a third bowl.
- Place the chicken fillets on a sheet of cling wrap, sprinkle in the salt and pepper evenly, cover with another sheet of cling wrap then pound with a kitchen mallet until of uniform thickness.
- Dredge each fillet in flour, dip in egg then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a frying pan to reach a depth of at least an inch and a half.
- Over medium-low heat (so as not to burn the cheese-laden breadcrumbs), fry the chicken fillets until golden and crisp, two to three minutes per side (see notes after the recipe).
- Serve your chicken schnitzel while hot.