It’s not a side dish. This chicken potato curry salad is a full meal. Spicy, tangy with lots of contrasting textures. The perfect meal for a summer day.
The secret in making this dish is timing. Season the chicken first to give it time to soak up the curry powder. Make the dressing to allow flavors to develop. Only then do you start the actual cooking.
Chicken Potato Curry SaladRecipe by
- 1 onion
- 500 grams chicken breast fillets skin on or off, your choice
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 grams potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 finger chili
- ½ cup Japanese mayo
- juice of one lemon
- ground pepper
To complete the salad
- 1 bag bag lettuce
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 bell pepper
To cook the chicken and potato curry
- 2 tablespoons oil
Marinate the chicken
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Wipe the chicken fillets dry with paper towels and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes.
- Put the onion and chicken in a bowl, add the curry powder and salt, and mix well.
Boil the potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes.
- Boil water in a pot and add the salt and vinegar.
- Drop the cubed potatoes in the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
Make the dressing
- While the potatoes boil, finely chop the finger chili.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Japanese mayo, chili, lemon juice and pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed.
Prep the salad vegetables
- Tear the lettuce into smaller pieces, rinse well and dry in a salad spinner.
- Cut the cucumber into thin strips.
- Core and deseed the bell pepper, and cut into strips.
Cook the chicken and potato curry
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan and dump in the chicken curry mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add to the chicken. Cook, stirring, for another five minutes.
- Taste the chicken and potato curry and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
Assemble the potato chicken curry salad
- Line four salad bowls with lettuce and top with the prepared cucumber and bell pepper strips.
- Pile the potato chicken curry on top of the raw vegetables and drizzle in the prepared dressing.