- Cut each chicken breast fillet horizontally into two.
- Lay the four pieces of chicken on a sheet of cling film and sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and sprinkle in the remaining half of the salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Cover the chicken pieces with another sheet of cling film and pound with a kitchen mallet to get a uniform thickness.
- Preheat the broiler to 400F.
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three shallow bowls.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in flour; shake off the excess.
- Dip the flour chicken in egg.
- Coat the wet chicken evenly with breadcrumbs.
- In a frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of two inches.
- Fry the breaded chicken until golden and crisp, about three minutes per side.
- Arrange one fried chicken fillet on a heatproof plate. Do the same with the others.
- Spread the top of each chicken fillet with a heaping tablespoon of tomato sauce.
- Top the tomato sauce first with Parmigiano-Reggiano then with mozzarella.
- Broil the chicken just the until the cheeses melt (we wait until they are nicely scorched (see notes after the recipe).
- Serve the chicken parmigiana with a side salad and bread, pasta or rice.