This delicious dish was the result of substitutions. We were supposed to cook the Latin American chicken a la crema, it turned out we were out of chicken bone broth and white wine, so, we substituted. Makgeoli for the white wine; condensed cream of chicken soup for the chicken broth and cream.
If, after adding the cream of chicken soup and half can of water, you feel that the dish doesn’t have enough liquid to cook in in the oven, don’t be tempted to add more liquid. The fresh mushrooms will expel its flavorful juices during cooking, and that’s why you shouldn’t go for canned mushrooms if fresh if available.
Normally, a casserole like this benefits tremendously with the addition of a little lime or lemon juice just before serving. The tartness cuts through the creaminess (which can be cloying) and brightens the overall flavor of the dish. But makgeoli is sweet and subtly tart so citrus juice might have been overkill. If you’re not using makgeoli, you decide if lime or lemon juice will be a good addition.
Chicken Mushrooms Casserole
- 700 to 800 grams chicken cut into serving-size pieces (legs and wings were used here)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme about two sprigs, if using fresh
- ½ cup makgeoli
- 1 onion
- 400 grams fresh mushrooms a combination of shiitake, brown button, white button and shimeji were used here
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels. Toss with a tablespoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of pepper.
- In a pan that can go into the oven, heat the butter.
- Brown the chicken in butter, turning them over occasionally for even cooking.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Stir.
- Pour in the makgeoli. Cook, uncovered, until the makgeoli has almost dried out.
- Add the sliced onion to the chicken and stir.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Empty the can of cream of chicken soup directly over the chicken.
- Half-fill the empty can with water and add to the chicken. Stir. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover the pan and pop into the preheated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken mushrooms casserole out of the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve.