Chicken Mushroom Spinach Pot Pie
Creamy and cheesy, the filling of this chicken mushroom spinach pot pie is sandwiched between layers of phyllo pastry. Serve as a main course on special occasions.
- 2 large handfuls spinach leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium potato cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 medium carrot cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 4 chicken thigh fillets (skin on) minced
- 200 grams fresh button mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ cup chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons cream
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 20 8" x 8" sheets phyllo pastry (see notes after the recipe)
- 125 grams butter melted
- 125 grams cream cheese cut into small cubes
Cook the filling
- Rinse the spinach leaves. Blanch in boiling water with about a teaspoon of salt. Strain, rinse in cold water, strain again and squeeze.
- Chop the blanched spinach and set aside.
- Heat the four tablespoons butter in a frying pan.
- Cook the potato and carrot cubes over medium heat until lightly browned. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add the minced chicken and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Cook over high heat until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the chopped onion, thyme and dill.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the onion pieces appear translucent.
- Add the potato and carrot cubes back into the pan.
- Pour in the broth. Bring to a simmer. Taste. Add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Cook the chicken and vegetables over low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the cream. Continue cooking, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spinach, grated cheese and parsley.
- Give the filling a final taste test and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Cool the filling completely.
Assemble the pot pie
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Take an 8″x8″ baking pan and brush the bottom and sides with melted butter.
- Lay a phyllo sheet on the bottom of the pan. Dab with melted butter.
- Repeat until you have 10 phyllo sheets all dabbed with melted butter.
- Spread the filling on top of the 10 layers of phyllo.
- Scatter the cream cheese cubes over the filling.
- Place a phyllo sheet on top of the filling. Dab with melted butter. Repeat until you have another 10 sheets, all dabbed with melted butter, on top of the filling.
- Using an extremely sharp knife, carefully cut the unbaked pie into quarters.
- Bake the phyllo chicken mushroom spinach pie at 375F for 50 minutes. Do check after 30 minutes though. Ovens differ from one another and your pie may bake faster than mine.
Serve the chicken mushroom spinach pot pie
- Take the pie out of the oven. Cool for about five minutes to allow the filling to firm up.
- Recut so that the knife goes all the way through the bottom crust.
- Serve the phyllo chicken mushroom spinach pie while hot.
If your phyllo pastry sheets are larger than the baking pan, cut them (use scissors to minimize breakage) to fit. Updated from a recipe originally published in February 2, 2017