Chicken Egg Drop Soup
Chicken bone broth, half a head of cauliflower, a handful of spinach, eggs and shredded chicken equal a delicious and nutritious soup.
- Reserve ¼ cup of broth and heat the rest in a pot until boiling.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the broth, lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for five minutes.
- Dissolve the tapioca starch in the reserved broth and pour into the pot. Cook, stirring, until the broth has thickened and is no longer cloudy.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and chicken meat.
- Taste the broth; add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil and continue cooking, uncovered and with occasional stirring, for a few minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in bowl.
- Turn off the heat. Pour the eggs in a thin stream over the entire surface of the soup. Leave to set for a few seconds before stirring.
- Taste the soup one last time and adjust the seasonings, if needed, before serving.
When we make bone broth, we add spices (shallots, garlic, peppercorns and, occasionally, ginger) and seasonings (salt or patis (fish sauce), or both). So, when we cook the broth into a soup dish, there’s not much need to saute aromatics to form a flavor base. The broth is already very flavorful. If you’re using store-bought broth and you feel you need to add a few things to make it taste better, feel free to do so. Updated from a recipe originally published in March 27, 2020
More Egg Recipes
To make stracciatella alla romana, shredded cheese is stirred into beaten eggs, poured into hot broth and is left untouched for a few seconds to partially set then stirred to …