Chicken Cordon BleuBy
- Wipe the chicken breast fillets dry with paper towels.
- Slit each fillet horizontally.
- Open up the split fillets, place between two sheets of cling wrap and pound with a mallet until about an eighth of an inch thick.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the pounded fillets.
- Lay a fillet flat, cover with two to three slices of ham then place a stick of cheese on one end.
- Roll up the chicken to enclose the ham and cheese.
- Dredge each stuffed chicken fillet in flour; shake off any excess.
- Dip the floured fillets in egg then roll in panko (see notes after the recipe).
- In a pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Fry the stuffed and breaded chicken fillets over medium-low heat until the crust is golden (see notes after the recipe).
- Let the cooked chicken cordon bleu rest for about ten minutes before slicing and serving. Or skip the rest time and serve uncut.