Chicken BBQ SandwichesBy
Chicken BBQ filling
- 500 grams skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions
- ½ cup butter divided
- ½ cup BBQ sauce store-bought or homemade (teriyaki sauce simmered until reduced by half is especially good)
- 8 ciabatta mini baguettes are good too
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 cups finely sliced lettuce
Cook the chicken BBQ filling
- In a large shallow pan, pour in enough water to reach a depth of three inches.
- Stir in the salt and bring the water to the boil.
- Slide in the chicken breast fillets in a single layer.
- When the water comes to a boil once more, set the heat to low, cover the pan and poach the chicken for ten minutes.
- Scoop out the chicken, transfer to a plate and cool for about ten minutes.
- Tear the cooked chicken breast fillets into shreds.
- Peel the onions and slice thinly.
- In a frying pan, melt half of the butter.
- Spread the onion slices in the hot butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, just until they go limp.
- Add the shredded chicken to the onions. Cook, tossing, until the chicken meat has absorbed the butter and pan juices.
- Add the rest of the butter and cook, tossing, until absorbed by the chicken meat.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and mix well.
- Cook the chicken with the BBQ sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized the oil separates from the meat.
Assemble the chicken BBQ sandwiches
- Toast the ciabatta and split each one horizontally.
- Spread mayo on the bottom halves and top with shredded lettuce.
- Take the top halves, place the upside down and spread chicken BBQ filling on all of them.
- Carefully invert the top halves of the bread on the bottom halves to complete the sandwiches.