It takes a good barbecue sauce to flavor meat but it take butter to turn fatless meat into a moist wonder.
In this chicken BBQ sandwiches recipe, shredded chicken meat is cooked with onions and butter until the meat has absorbed the fat. The BBQ sauce is poured in and everything is cooked with some stirring until the sauce has been soaked up and the oil separates from the solids. By that time, you have succulent chicken rather than dry shreds.
Chicken BBQ Sandwiches
Chicken BBQ filling
- 500 grams skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions
- ½ cup butter divided
- ½ cup BBQ sauce store-bought or homemade (teriyaki sauce simmered until reduced by half is especially good)
- 8 ciabatta mini baguettes are good too
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 cups finely sliced lettuce
Cook the chicken BBQ filling
- In a large shallow pan, pour in enough water to reach a depth of three inches.
- Stir in the salt and bring the water to the boil.
- Slide in the chicken breast fillets in a single layer.
- When the water comes to a boil once more, set the heat to low, cover the pan and poach the chicken for ten minutes.
- Scoop out the chicken, transfer to a plate and cool for about ten minutes.
- Tear the cooked chicken breast fillets into shreds.
- Peel the onions and slice thinly.
- In a frying pan, melt half of the butter.
- Spread the onion slices in the hot butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, just until they go limp.
- Add the shredded chicken to the onions. Cook, tossing, until the chicken meat has absorbed the butter and pan juices.
- Add the rest of the butter and cook, tossing, until absorbed by the chicken meat.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and mix well.
- Cook the chicken with the BBQ sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, and the oil separates from the meat.
Assemble the chicken BBQ sandwiches
- Toast the ciabatta and split each one horizontally.
- Spread mayo on the bottom halves and top with shredded lettuce.
- Take the top halves, place the upside down and spread chicken BBQ filling on all of them.
- Carefully invert the top halves of the bread on the bottom halves to complete the sandwiches.