Chicken Apple StewBy
- 1 kilogram chicken thighs skin on
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 bell peppers deseeded and diced (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 plump tomatoes diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt (see notes after the recipe)
- Wipe the chicken thighs dry with a kitchen towel.
- Mix the chicken with lemon pepper seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
- Marinate in the fridge for 12 hours (up to 24 hours is okay).
- Melt three tablespoons butter in a thick-bottomed frying pan.
- Brown the chicken thighs on both sides, scoop out and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and throw in the chopped onion. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
- Add the garlic to the onion, stir and cook for half a minute.
- Throw in the tomatoes and bell peppers. Sprinkle in salt (see notes after the recipe) and pepper. Cook, stirring, for half a minute.
- Stir in the apple wedges, lemon juice, sugar and reserved marinade.
- Arrange the chicken in the pan in a single layer. Cover the pan tightly, turn down the heat to low and stew the chicken in apple and vegetable juices until done.
- Off the heat, taste the pan juices and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Depending on your palate, you may want to add more salt, pepper, sugar or lemon juice, or all of them.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley before serving your chicken apple stew.