Chicken and Beans SoupBy
- 400 grams dry beans (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 whole chicken about one kilogram in weight
- 1 large onion
- 1 whole garlic
- 10 large tomatoes
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- Rinse the beans several times then soak in water overnight.
- Cook the beans in simmering water for about an hour and a half to two hours, or until tender.
- In another pot, drop in the chicken, cover with water, add the whole garlic, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, oregano and salt.
- Bring to the boil, remove the scum as it rises, lower the heat, cover and simmer for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove the chicken, garlic, onion and tomatoes from the broth. Cool.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Debone the chicken; discard the bones. Do not flake the meat; rather, tear them into fairly large pieces. See the photo above to get an idea.
- Peel and mash the garlic, onion and tomatoes.
- Return everything to the broth in the pot, add the cooked beans with the cooking liquid, add more salt if necessary, bring to the boil and simmer for ten to 15 minutes, tasting occasionally and adding more salt, as needed.