Cheesy Spaghetti with Fresh MusselsBy
- 50 grams spaghetti or your preferred pasta shape
- 7 to 8 mussels soaked washed and debearded
- 1 generous splash white wine
- 50 grams cheese I used Monterey Jack, crumbled
- 25 grams cream cheese I used herbed cream cheese, crumbled
- parsley to garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain. Reserve one cup of the pasta water.
- Reheat the reserved pasta water and bring to the boil.
- Add the mussels to the boiling water. Pour in the white wine. Boil until the mussels open, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scoop out the mussels and allow the liquid to continue boiling until reduced to half. You want a more concentrated mussel stock with the full bodied flavor of the wine so reduce, reduce, reduce.
- Meanwhile, open the mussel shells and discard the empty halves.
- To the reduced liquid in the pan, add the crumbled cheeses. Stir until melted.
- Turn off the heat. Season lightly with salt and generously with pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and mussels. Toss to coat.