Cheesy Potato and Bacon CasseroleBy
- 150 grams belly bacon cut into strips ½-inch wide (sweetened bacon is NOT recommended)
- 500 grams potatoes the kind you cook into French fries is best, peeled and cut into wedges
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with oil.
- Spread the bacon in a frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Scoop out the cooked bacon.
- Reheat the bacon fat.
- Spread the potato wedges in the hot fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fry the potato wedges in the bacon fat for a few minutes without disturbing then stir. Continue frying, tossing occasionally, until the edges are lightly browned and the centers are cooked through.
- Scoop out the potatoes and spread on the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the bacon over the potatoes.
- Stir together the softened cream cheese and shredded Pepper Jack. Drop by spoonfuls over the potatoes and bacon.
- Whisk together the panko and Parmesan and scatter over the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes, bacon and cheese for 12 to 15 minutes or just until the cheeses melt and the top is nicely browned.
- Scatter the remaining bacon and drop spoonfuls of sour cream over the hot casserole and sprinkle in chopped parsley before serving.