If stirring rice in broth for half an hour to make risotto isn’t your thing, try an easier way to make a risotto-like rice dish. This cheesy mushroom rice makes a great starter or side dish.
What rice variety is ideal for this dish? Any kind of rice so long as it isn’t glutinous. You want the grains to be separate before the cheese is added so that when the cheese melts, the mixture will be sticky in just the right way. I used brown rice but white, red or black will do just as well. For best results, see How To Cook Rice: Stovetop, Rice Cooker, Microwave.
What variety of mushroom is good? Any, really. Ideally, fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter. But I had no fresh mushrooms so I used canned. The rice dish still turned out very tasty.
And the cheese? I opted for a mixture of Edam and mature cheddar. Feel free to use your preferred cheese.
Cheesy Mushroom RiceRecipe by
- 1 cup very hot newly-cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- sliced mushrooms (I used canned), drained well
- ¼ cup grated cheese plus more to garnish
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- snipped parsley to garnish
- In a bowl, stir together the rice and butter until the butter is melted and every grain of rice is glistening.
- Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley and stir.
- Top with more grated cheese and snipped parsley before serving.