Cheesy Fried Chicken SandwichBy
- 4 chicken thigh fillets (see notes after the recipe)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- ¾ cup panko mixed with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- cooking oil for frying
To make the sandwiches
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 4 to 8 slices mozzarella
- 4 to 8 slices Parmesan
- 4 bagels or your bread of choice, split and toasted
- arugula or lettuce
Fry the chicken
- Pound the chicken between sheets of cling wrap until the meat is half an inch in thickness.
- Lay the chicken pieces flat and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the flour, beaten egg and panko in three shallow bowls.
- Dredge each chicken thigh in flour; shake off the excess.
- Dip each floured chicken thigh in the beaten egg, making sure that every inch of the surface is coated with egg.
- Roll each chicken fillet in panko. Make sure that the panko coating is even.
- Heat enough cooking oil so that it is at least an inch and a half deep.
- Over medium heat, fry the breaded chicken fillets for two to three minutes per side.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels.
Assemble the cheesy fried chicken sandwiches
- Place the cooked Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steaks in a hot pan.
- Slather the tomato sauce on top.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the tomato sauce, cover the pan and, over low heat, let the tomato sauce get heated through which should be just enough time to melt the cheese. A minute, really, so long as the pan is hot.
- Cover the bottom halves of the bagels with greens, place the chicken and everything on it on top of the greens, cover with the top half of the bagels and enjoy.