Deconstructed from Conti’s baked salmon that my family fell in love with many years ago. The first time I made it, I used a kilogram of salmon fillet in one piece. Too much for a family of four. I have since learned that it is possible to make it using smaller cuts of salmon fillet.
If you want to cook the baked salmon to serve a larger crowd, and you prefer the fillet to be in one piece, know that you will need a large skillet in which to sear the fish. And searing is so essential here. If you skip it, your salmon will have the mouth feel of boiled fish.
If you don’t have a pan large enough in which to sear a large piece of salmon, cut the fillet into portions, sear in batches then arrange them contiguously on the baking pan so that they look like they are still in one piece. You’re going to cover the top with cheese and crumbs, and no one’s going to notice that the fillet had been cut into portions.
Cheesy Baked Salmon with Crispy Crumb Topping
- 600 grams salmon fillet
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 175 grams cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup panko
- Wipe the salmon fillet with paper towels and rub the lemon pepper seasoning directly on the flesh.
- Marinate in the fridge in a covered container for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Take the salmon out of the fridge to allow to come to room temperature.
- Mix the cream cheese, onion flakes and garlic flakes.
- Melt two tablespoons butter in a frying pan, add the panko and cook until the crumbs have absorbed all the butter.
- Wipe the frying pan and melt the remaining butter.
- Lay the salmon fillet in the hot butter, skin side up and sear for a minute. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Arrange in the salmon fillet, skin side down, in a baking tray lined with foil or non-stick paper.
- Spread the cream cheese on the entire top of the salmon.
- Pat the panko into the cream cheese.
- Bake the salmon in the oven for 10 minutes or until the crumbs are browned.
- Serve the cheesy baked salmon with crispy crumb topping with your vegetables of choice.