Cheese and Mushroom OmeletteBy
- 6 button mushrooms
- 75 grams mozzarella
- 25 grams sharp cheddar
- 3 eggs yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 2 pinches pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- Wipe the mushrooms and thinly slice.
- Thinly slice the mozzarella and cheddar.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks start to form (see notes after the recipe).
- Whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 teaspoon salt, all of the pepper and scallions.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- Melt a tablespoon butter in a frying pan.
- Saute the sliced mushrooms with the remaining salt for about a minute. Scoop out and transfer to a plate.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan.
- Pour in the eggs. Swirl the pan to allow the mixture to spread evenly.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the edges are firm but the top is still wet.
- Spread the cheese slices on half of the omelet. Top with the sauteed mushrooms.
- Fold the empty half of the omelette over to cover the cheeses and mushrooms. Continue cooking until the cheeses melt.
- Slide the omelette onto a plate and serve immediately.