In Episode 11 of Season 14 of The Big Bang Theory, Raj Koothrappali cooked an omelette for his new love interest. The secret, he said, was beating the egg whites separately to create volume. This cheese and mushroom omelette was cooked a la Raj. Light and fluffy with melted cheese oozing out.
You can beat the egg whites manually with a wire whisk or, for convenience, with a hand or stand mixer. For a visual aid, see Beating Egg Whites: Frothy to Stiff Peaks, Illustrated.
Cheese and Mushroom OmeletteRecipe by
- Heat the butter in a pan and saute the mushrooms with half of the salt and pepper until lightly browned. Scoop out and transfer to a plate.
- Shred the mozzarella and cheddar.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks start to form (see notes after the recipe).
- Whisk the egg yolks with the cream and remaining salt and pepper.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- Reheat the remaining butter in the pan and spread the eggs to cover the entire bottom (use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the eggs evenly).
- Cook over medium-low heat until the edges are firm but the top is still wet.
- Spread the sauteed mushrooms on half of the omelette and top with the shredded cheeses.
- Fold the empty half of the omelette over to cover the cheeses and mushrooms. Continue cooking until the cheeses melt.
- Slide the omelette onto a plate and serve immediately.