- 4 stalks celery leaves discarded
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Kentucky bourbon or Tennessee whiskey Speedy used Jack Daniels
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- club soda
- celery tops with the leaves to garnish
- Cut the celery into small pieces.
- Dump the celery in the food processor with 1 tablespoon sugar, the salt and celery seeds. Process to a puree.
- Fold a cheesecloth into four layers.
- Place a cheesecloth over a large bowl.
- Pour the puree into the cheesecloth.
- Gather the corners of the cheesecloth and press the juice from the puree into the bowl underneath.
- Pour the celery juice into a pan.
- Add the rest of the sugar.
- Heat gently just until the sugar dissolves.
- Fill four glasses with ice cubes.
- Pour in a ounce of bourbon or whiskey, a tablespoonful of lemon juice and about two tablespoonfuls of the celery syrup into each glass. Stir.
- Top with club soda.
- Drop in a celery top for a stirrer and serve.