Brown Sugar and Garlic ChickenBy
- 10 large chicken thighs fillets about one kilogram in total weight
- 3 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning (see notes after the recipe)
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- juice from one lime or lemon (see notes after the recipe)
- mint leaves thinly sliced
- Rub lemon pepper seasoning on the chicken thigh fillets and leave to marinate in a covered container in the fridge overnight.
- Peel the garlic and thinly slice.
- In a thick-bottomed frying pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Spread the garlic slices in the hot butter and cook slowly until browned and crisp. Scoop out the fried garlic and set aside.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high.
- In the remaining butter, arrange the chicken thigh fillets, skin side down, in a single layer. Leave to brown the skins for a few minutes.
- Flip the chicken fillets and brown the opposite sides.
- Scoop out the chicken fillets and set aside.
- Into the pan, pour in the honey and stir in the oregano, thyme and basil.
- Return the chicken fillets to the pan.
- Cover the pan tightly, set the stove to the lowest setting and cook the chicken slowly for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Arrange the chicken fillets in a bowl.
- To the pan drippings, add the lime or lemon juice. Stir to loosen bits sticking to the pan.
- Drizzle the contents of the pan over the chicken then sprinkle in the fried garlic and mint leaves.
- Serve the brown sugar and garlic chicken hot with rice or bread.