The love and energy that my daughter, Alex, put into these burritos. I was rather skeptical when she broached the idea but, after she was done, one bite was all it took for me to realize that we should have attempted making them much earlier.
What makes this breakfast sausage burritos so good? The generous filling, for one thing. And the spiciness of the sausage. But my favorite part is the potato. Fried Swiss rösti style, you get a bit of crackle with every bite.
Breakfast Sausage Burrito
- cooking oil
- 300 grams spicy sausages Andouille or something similar
For the crispy potatoes
- 1 cup grated potatoes
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the omelette
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large eggs beaten until frothy
- 100 grams mozzarella or other cheese or cheeses that melt well, shredded or thinly sliced
To complete the burritos
- 3 large flour tortillas
- alfalfa sprouts as much as you like
- lettuce as much as you like
- Lightly spray a frying pan with oil.
- Spread the sausages in the pan and fry over low heat, turning occasionally, until done.
- While the sausages fry, in another frying pan, melt the butter.
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from the potatoes then spread in a thin even layer on the bottom of the pan where you melted the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the potatoes over low heat until the underside is browned. Flip to brown the opposite side.
- Melt the butter in a third frying pan. Pour in the beaten eggs and cook over low heat until set but still wet at the center. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese on one half of the eggs then fold the other half over the cheese. Cook just until the cheese melts.
- Lightly toast the flour tortillas on both sides.
- Place a flour tortilla on your work surface.
- Lay lettuce on it followed by alfalfa sprouts, a third of the omelet, a third of the crispy potatoes and one sausage (split the sausage vertically if large).
- Roll the tortilla, tucking in the sides, until the fillings are fully enclosed.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Serve the breakfast sausage burritos immediately.