Boozy Butterscotch BrowniesBy
- 4 cup mixed candied fruit peel the kind used for baking fruit cakes; available in baking supply stores
- 4 tablespoons cherry brandy rum or regular brandy will also do
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 large whole eggs
- 4 cup roasted chopped walnut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated zest of two oranges
- Place the fruit peel in a shallow bowl.
- Add the brandy or rum. Stir.
- Leave to soak for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 7″ x 11″ baking pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, mixing after each addition.
- Drain the fruit peel.
- Fold in the fruit peel and nuts into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl. Smoothen the top for even thickness.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool some more.
- Cut into two-inch