Beef and Bean SaladBy
- 1 cup cooked beans any kind well drained
- ¾ cup roughly chopped ripe sweet mangoes
- ¾ cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely sliced chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic divided
- lemon or lime juice to taste
- salt to taste
- 500 grams ground fatty beef
- snipped parsley
Make the salsa
- Place the beans, mangoes, tomatoes, onion, chilies and half of the garlic in a bowl.
- Drizzle in lemon or lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Taste. Adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Cover the bowl and chill for three hours, or overnight.
- About ten minutes before you intend to serve the salad, take the salsa out of the fridge.
Cook the ground beef
- Heat a heavy skillet (non-stick works best).
- Spread the ground beef on the bottom of the skillet. Cook over high heat for about two minutes.
- Add the remaining garlic. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned and has rendered all its fat. Turn off the heat. The beef will continue to brown in the residual heat.
Assemble the beef and bean salad
- Divide the salsa among thee bowls.
- Top each with a third of the beef (you can leave the rendered fat in the skillet).
- Drizzle with mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle in snipped parsley.
- Serve the beef and bean salad with tortilla chips or toasted bread.