Bauernfrühstück (Farmer’s Breakfast)By
- 1 large potato
- 300 grams ham (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and roughly chopped
- 8 stalks scallions (white and green portions) cut into one-inch lengths
- Scrub and rinse the potato under the tap.
- Cook the potato in boiling water with a teaspoon of salt for ten minutes.
- Poke a knife at the center and if you feel just the slightest resistance, scoop out the potato and dump into a bowl of cold water.
- When the potato is cool enough to handle (it shouldn't take more than a few minutes), peel and cut into one-inch cubes.
- Cut the ham into one-inch cubes.
- Beat the eggs with a teaspoon of salt and two pinches of pepper.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- Sweat the onion until translucent.
- Add the potatoes.
- Over medium heat, stirring often, cook the potatoes and onion slices for about four minutes.
- Stir in the ham and cook for two minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions, and stir.
- Pour in the beaten eggs, allow to set partially for about ten seconds then stir to break up lumps.
- Continue cooking just until the eggs are done.
- Serve your bauernfrühstück with bread.