Bangers and MashBy
Make the onion gravy
- Melt one tablespoon butter in a pan.
- Add the chopped onion and cook gently until soft and lightly browned.
- Scoop out the onion, dump into the blender and pour in the broth.
- Puree until the onion pieces are liquefied.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- Add the flour, all at once, stirring to remove lumps. Cook gently over medium heat for about five minutes or just until the the edges start to brown.
- Pour in the broth (or broth and cream) in a thin stream, stirring as you pour. Pour in just enough to reach the consistency that you prefer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the remaining 2 tbsps. of butter. Keep the gravy warm.
Fry the bangers
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the sausages over extremely high heat until the skins burst.
Assemble your bangers and mash
- Spread a cup of mashed potatoes on a plate.
- Lay the sausages on top.
- Spoon the peas on the side.
- Pour onion gravy over and around the mashed potatoes and sausages.
- Serve your bangers and mash at once.