Do floured chicken wings turn crisp in the oven? Sure, if you know a few tricks.
What tricks? The first is to flour the chicken wings twice, and dipping them in milk in between. The second trick is to dip the double-floured wings in melted butter before they go into the preheated oven. Not only does the butter give the surface of the wings a lovely crust, it adds so much flavor too!
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 8 chicken wings
- ¾ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup full-fat milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour you may need more
- ¾ cup butter divided
- ¼ cup hot sauce I used Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- Wipe the chicken wings with paper towels.
- Cut each wing into drumette and wingette, and set aside the wingtips for making chicken bone broth.
- Place the wingettes and drumettes in a bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper and quarter cup of milk. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours (overnight is better!).
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Line a tray with aluminum foil (for easy cleanup) and place a rack above the tray.
- Spray or brush the rack with oil.
- Place the flour and remaining milk in two shallow bowls.
- Dredge each piece if chicken in flour; shake off the excess.
- Dip in milk then dredge in flour once more.
- Melt the butter and pour half a cup in a bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the melted butter (this is what will make it crisp in the oven!) and arrange on the prepared rack at least an inch apart.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
Make the sauce
- Put the remaining melted butter, hot sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Taste and make whatever adjustments you feel is necessary.
- When the chicken wings are done, add to the sauce in the bowl. With a spatula, mix until the chicken pieces are completely covered with sauce.
- Serve the Buffalo chicken wings at once.