Bacon Pepper Pancakes with Cheese SauceBy
For the cheese sauce
- 1 cup grated cheese any soft cheese should melt well but mozzarella is NOT recommended for this recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
Cook the bacon, peppers and scallions
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until a little fat has been rendered.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and scallions. Cook, stirring for about a minute. Transfer the mixture to a plate and cool.
Make the pancake batter
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Fold in the melted butter.
- Add the bacon mixture to the batter. Stir lightly to combine.
- Reheat the pan (where some bacon fat goodness still covers the bottom) and start cooking the pancakes (see notes after the recipe).
- You should be able to make about eight pancakes with the ingredients given above.
Make the cheese sauce
- Stir together the grated cheese and milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for about two minutes or just until the cheese is soft enough to be stirred into a thick, smooth sauce.
Serve the bacon pepper pancakes with cheese sauce
- Stack the pancakes and pour some cheese sauce over them.
- If you want added depth of flavor, color and texture, sprinkle in more sliced scallions and a little cayenne.