I love macaroni salad especially when it has so much in it — celery, carrot, pickle relish, crushed pineapple, meat, cheese… I have to admit though that there are times when I want more — more color, more texture and more flavor. Bacon is the answer.
And I’m not just talking about bits of bacon tossed with the noodles. Sure, that will add color, texture and flavor to the salad but you can go a step farther. I’m talking about tossing the noodles in a tablespoon of bacon fat before everything else is added. You’d be surprised at how much difference one ingredient in such a small amount can make.
Bacon Macaroni Salad
- 100 grams belly bacon
- 3 cups cooked macaroni
- ¼ cup chopped carrot (see notes after the recipe)
- ¾ cup cheese cubed (soft cheeses are particularly good for this salad)
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ¼ cup finely sliced scallions
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
- Cut the bacon into thin strips.
- Fry in an oil-free pan until browned.
- Scoop out the browned bacon and drain on a stack of paper towels.
- Measure a tablespoonful of the bacon fat and pour over the macaroni and toss thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Chill the bacon macaroni salad before serving.