Bacon Asparagus Puff Pastry SpiralsBy
- 15 asparagus spears baby asparagus is NOT recommended
- 8 fatty bacon rashers
- 1 four-inch block puff pastry thawed
- all-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 egg beaten with generous pinches of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Rinse the asparagus spears and dry with a kitchen towel.
- Take an asparagus and bend to break off the tough woody end.
- Repeat with the rest of the asparagus spears.
- Discard the tough ends.
- Cut each bacon rasher horizontally into two portions.
- Take an asparagus spear and roll a strip of bacon around it diagonally. Make sure that there is space in between the rolled bacon.
- Repeat until all the asparagus spears have been rolled with bacon.
- Dust your work surface with flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a ten-inch square to a thickness of less than a quarter inch.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the puff pastry into 15 strips about half an inch wide.
- Take a bacon-rolled asparagus and roll a strip of puff pastry from end to end. Position the puff pastry so that it alternates with the bacon.
- Line two baking trays with silicone mats or non-stick paper.
- Arrange the bacon and puff-pastry covered asparagus spears on the baking trays. Keep them two inches apart to allow room for the pastry to puff.
- Brush the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals liberally with the beaten egg.
- Bake the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400F oven.
- Take the baking trays out of the oven and cool the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals for a minute or two.
- Serve while still hot though for best experience.