Definitely a special occasion dish, these bacon asparagus puff pastry spirals are a bit challenging to make. But for a special occasion, they make an eye-catching starter or side dish that burst with textures and flavors.
Everything comes fully illustrated in the recipe below but just a note about asparagus. The woody ends of the asparagus are too tough to eat, so you need to get rid of them.
Just bend the asparagus spear and it will naturally break to separate the edible from the inedible portion.
Bacon Asparagus Puff Pastry Spirals
- 15 asparagus spears baby asparagus is NOT recommended
- 8 fatty bacon rashers
- 1 four-inch block puff pastry thawed
- all-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 egg beaten with generous pinches of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Rinse the asparagus spears and dry with a kitchen towel.
- Take an asparagus and bend to break off the tough woody end.
- Repeat with the rest of the asparagus spears.
- Discard the tough ends.
- Cut each bacon rasher horizontally into two portions.
- Take an asparagus spear and roll a strip of bacon around it diagonally. Make sure that there is space in between the rolled bacon.
- Repeat until all the asparagus spears have been rolled with bacon.
- Dust your work surface with flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a ten-inch square to a thickness of less than a quarter inch.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the puff pastry into 15 strips about half an inch wide.
- Take a bacon-rolled asparagus and roll a strip of puff pastry from end to end. Position the puff pastry so that it alternates with the bacon.
- Line two baking trays with silicone mats or non-stick paper.
- Arrange the bacon and puff-pastry covered asparagus spears on the baking trays. Keep them two inches apart to allow room for the pastry to puff.
- Brush the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals liberally with the beaten egg.
- Bake the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400F oven.
- Take the baking trays out of the oven and cool the bacon puff pastry asparagus spirals for a minute or two.
- Serve while still hot though for best experience.