Arroz Amarillo con Achiote (Yellow Rice)By
- Pour the oil into a shallow pan and sprinkle in the annatto seeds.
- Over low heat, allow the annatto seeds to render color.
- Scoop out the annatto seeds and discard.
- Set the heat to medium, add the garlic and onion to the oil, and cook gently until slightly softened.
- Add the carrot cubes and peas.
- Add the rice. Stir to coat each grain of rice with the oil. Cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in the broth. Taste; add salt and pepper, as needed (see notes after the recipe).
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and cook until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- When the rice is done, fluff up the grains using a fork, cover the pan loosely and leave for another ten minutes.
- Serve the arroz amarillo con achiote hot. It is great by itself or with anything and everything — meat, vegetables, seafood.