It’s sweetish with a subtle tang (the apple cubes are tossed with a little lemon juice to minimize discoloration and to add a layer of flavor), salty (the chicken is cooked with a generous amount of salt), crunchy (that’s what the nuts and celery provide) and just absolutely wonderful.
There is no right or wrong proportion of ingredients here. You may use equal amounts of chicken and apples, or go for a 1:2 ratio.
The chicken can be boiled, broiled, grilled or poached. The chicken meat can come from the thighs, drumsticks or breasts.
What apple is best for this salad? Dessert apple, as opposed to cooking apple, is ideal. We used Fuji apples but Gala or Red Delicious will be just as good.
Apple Chicken SaladRecipe by
- 2 dessert apples we used Fuji
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup roasted walnuts loosely packed
- 200 grams cooked chicken meat meat from the thighs is recommended
- 1 rib celery
- 6 tablespoons mayo you may need more
- Peel the apples and cut into half-inch cubes.
- Place the apple cubes in a mixing bowl and toss with the lemon juice.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and chicken.
- Cut the celery into slices about a quarter inch thick.
- Add the walnuts, chicken and celery into the bowl with the apples.
- Sprinkle in half a teaspoon of salt and quarter teapsoon of pepper.
- Add the mayo and toss thoroughly.
- If the salad appears too dry, add more mayo, no more than two tablespoonfuls at a time, and tossing after each addition.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper, or both, as needed.
- Chill the apple chicken salad for a few hours before serving.