18th Century American Macaroni and CheeseBy
- 3 cups full-fat milk
- 150 grams macaroni
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons salted butter chilled (plus more to garnish)
- 150 grams shredded cheese (cheddar is used here)
- In a pot, heat the milk with three cups of water and about a teaspoon of salt.
- When boiling, stir in the macaroni and cook until fully done, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the macaroni and set aside (see notes after the recipe).
- Preheat the oven (top and botton heat) to 375F.
- Shave the butter and spread a tablespoon on the bottom of an oven-safe bowl.
- Pile a third of the cooked macaroni on top of the butter.
- Spread two tablespoons of shaved butter on top of the macaroni followed by a third of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layering until all the butter, macaroni and cheese are in the bowl.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the cheese melts and the top is lightly browned.
- Take the mac and cheese out of the oven and drop dollops of butter on top. Let the butter melt before serving.